Roses are red, violets are blue, and Valentine’s Day is in full bloom! Hey’all its Snap Greene here! Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and if you and your significant other are deciding to move in together, what better time than to do it than this Valentine’s Day!
Laura McHolm, co-founder of NorthStar Moving®, has spent over a decade helping couples move in with each other, and she has great advice and ideas to make the merging of two household seamless and stress-free! So before you actually move in with your sweetheart here are some tips to read carefully!
- Go over appliances: Figure out who’s going to bring what to the new home. For example, if you have a toaster oven and your significant other has a toaster oven as well, pick out the one you like and works best in your new space, and try to set aside all the other multiple appliances for a future yard sale. That way, you will have extra cash to buy things you need that are missing in the new love nest.
- Measure, measure, measure: Before you move in review carefully how much space you have in the new place. For example, you may not be able to fit both of your furniture and his. If you measure the rooms and decide which furniture pieces will go where before you move in you will save money as the movers will need to move less, make money selling the unwanted furniture, and most importantly avoid squabbles on moving day!
- Which bed to keep: If you are on a budget and don’t want to invest in a new queen or king size bed for you and your sweetie then either put your two doubles together and buy king size sheets, or choose the newer of the two queen beds you own. It says on the tag when it was manufactured. Then if you have an extra room, try putting the extra bed in there and turn it into a guest room. Or if you don’t have an extra room, put it on Craig’s list and make some more cash. Problem solved!
- Move on a quiet day: Make it easier on the both of you, and if possible move in when it’s a quiet day, such as a weekday when most people are at work and school. Just make sure you don’t schedule movers during rush hour and the middle of the day.
- Order utilities in advance: Be sure to plan ahead and set up electricity, gas, cable and internet before you move in. So your first night with your sweetie is romantic and peaceful not dark and cold!
- Donate: Make sure both of you make a pile of things to “give away” and “throw away”. Ask yourself: Could someone else use this item even if I cannot? If so, put it in a bag and donate it to a charity (be sure to get a receipt to deduct from your taxes!).If not, add it to this week’s trash or there is always e-bay, you’ll be shocked what your old pair of jeans will go for!
So, hope these tips help you! If you need further help in figuring out ways to move in with your loved one or need to find a moving company that can help both of you get settled in, message me! I have tons of tips and ideas to help you!
What’s your secret tip into moving in with your love? I would love to hear it in the comment section below!